top of page
Maternity Yoga with Computer and Mat

Relax at Home While we take care of your Companies Office of Jamaica Related Business. We offer the following services;

- Business Name/ Company Registration, Renewal and Closures
- Document submission and pickup

If you are interested in starting a business in Jamaica, there are a number of legal requirements that must be followed. Jamaica’s Business Name Act of 1934 makes it illegal to start a business without first registering it with Companies of Jamaica, which was formerly called the Office of the Registrar of Companies.

There are several benefits associated with registering your company or business. Your business is shown on the website of the Companies of Jamaica. It will go up on the website just a week after you’ve registered it. Also, you will have access to loans and grants, be able to get government and other contracts, and inspire the confidence of your customers when they know they are dealing with a legal, registered entity.

Before registering with Companies of Jamaica, however, you must decide upon the type of legal structure your business will have. Your options include sole trader, partnership, company, or co-operative. Once you’ve decided, you can then create a name for your business or company and request two very important numbers: the Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) and the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) reference number. The applications for both of these numbers require:

  • 2 passport-size photographs that have been signed by a Justice of the Peace

  • a copy of your Birth Certificate

Once you have your TRN and NIS numbers, you can take the next step, which is to register with the Inland Revenue Department to obtain permission to take various legal tax deductions, such as those for: 

  • Income tax

  • Education tax (ED tax)

  • General Consumption Tax (GCT)

If necessary, you will need to obtain the appropriate patents of copyrights from the Jamaican Intellectual Property Office. After that, you can register with the National Housing Trust (NHT) and apply for a Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC).

In order to get a TCC, you must obtain a clearance letter from the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) office, the National Housing Trust (NHT) office, and provide your Business Name Certificate.

In addition, you may new to comply with other licensing and/or inspections from the appropriate government agencies, such as the Bureau of Standards. Specific industries must also provide an Environmental Impact Assessment.

There are also other legal requirements associated with each type of business structure.

Visit the Companies Office of Jamaica's website.

Sole Trader

If you operate your business as a sole trader, you must submit a completed BN1 form. If you are selling tangible goods, you must submit proof of residential address and a TRN , you must also submit 3 passport-size photographs signed by a Justice of the Peace. Registration as a sole trader costs JA$2,500.00.


Partnerships can legally exist with as few as 2 persons or as many as 20 persons. If you want to register your business as a partnership, you must submit: 

  • A completed BN2 form

  • Proof of residential address and TRN are required for the applicant

  • Optional 3 passport-size photographs of each partner, signed by a Justice of the Peace

  • The National Identification Card of each partner

The registration fee for a partnership is JA$2,500.00


A business structured as a company must submit: 

  • A completed Form 1, Declaration of Compliance

  • A completed Form 1A, Articles of Incorporation

  • A completed Form 17, Address of Company

Form 1A must be stamped at the Stamp Office and Transfer Tax Department, which is located at 111 Harbour Street in Kingston. The cost for the stamp is $500.

Registration fee for a company is JA$24,000.

Additionally, companies must submit Form 20, which states the Board of Directors, with at the time of registration or 14 days after registration for a fee, but forms submitted after the end of the 14-day period will cost more.

All forms must be signed by a Justice of the Peace.


A co-operative must have a minimum of 10 persons. If you want to form a co-operative, you must register with the Department of Co-Operatives and Friendly Societies. To register, you must provide:


  • A letter that requests registration to form a co-operative business

  • Statement of the nature of the business

  • 3 mistake-free copies of the co-operatives proposed rules

  • 2 completed application forms, plus the registration fee

  • 2 copies of a completed registration agreement, signed by the co-operative’s relevant officers

  • A project proposal that includes a business plan, cash-flow projections and/or feasibility study for a 5-year period. This should show the plans monthly for the first year, and then yearly for subsequent years.

When forming a co-operative, you must also form a steering committee from among the members. A steering committee should comprise an odd number of members, e.g., 5, 7, or 9 members. Additionally, the committee must be trained in Co-operative Management. Training is conducted for a minimum of 10 hours at a cost of $900 per hour.

If your business will be involved with agricultural products, animals, or textiles, there are some additional requirements. For example, you may have to get: 

  • An approval letter from the Plant Quarantine Division, Ministry of Agriculture, which certifies that the packaging house for fresh products has been inspected and certified

  • Registration with the Bureau of Standards, if you export processed foods

  • Certification from the Veterinary Service Division, Ministry of Agriculture, if you are exporting aqua culture, inland and marine products and by-products

  • If exporting textiles, a list of machinery, equipment, categories of employees, and a monthly production plan

For export and import businesses, the registration process requires the following: 

  • Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO) Exporter Registration Form (JN1)

  • Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)

  • A copy of the Certificate of Incorporation or a copy of the Certification of Business Name obtained from the Companies of Jamaica office (for a company)

  • Proof of identification for individuals, which may be a passport, driver’s license, etc.

  • A passport-size photograph

A Business Name Certification is valid for three years from the registration date.

You should also be aware that there are some additional costs associated with registration: 

  • Re-registration costs for a company or individuals at JA$2,500.000 every 3 years

  • All free-zone companies must pay a fee

  • Co-operatives must pay an optional fee for the preparation of rules, or buy a model rule, costs vary for a hard copy than for an electronic copy.


Anchor 2
Anchor 1
Anchor 3

contact us

If you have any queries please call 876-787-1538 of 876-551-5022 or email:

bottom of page